OCC Conservation &
The Ocean Cruising Club membership has had a long tradition of adventurous ocean sailing and marine conservation activities.
For questions or more information please email: ChallengeGrant@OceanCruisingClub.Org
Whether high latitudes voyaging, non-stop solo circumnavigating, sampling ocean waters, or researching threatened species, OCC members’ adventures and conservation efforts, documented in its flagship publication Flying Fish, have helped sailors dream big and plan exciting and meaningful voyages.
Now, with decades of storied history, the OCC continues to support these endeavours and is proud to stand behind the individuals and their projects which seek the betterment of the sailing community and maritime environment.
The Challenge Grant encompasses two categories:
The Conservation or Environmental Grant and the Adventure Grant.
OCC Conservation Challenge Grant
This Grant is for members looking to make a difference with a specific conservation or environmental project that is centred around the ocean, marine or maritime environment. Conservation Grants are intended to help with project costs and range from £250 to £3,000, depending on the size and scope of project.
- Be related to the ocean, maritime or marine environments
- Have measurable, high impact yet achievable goals
- Incorporate best practices for sustainability
- Improve the marine conservation and/or conservation practices
- Demonstrate “Leave No Trace” practices
- Demonstrate a plan for long-term success
- If possible, engage members of the community to ensure the sustainability of the project
- If possible, have local and national conservation manager endorsement and appropriate local/national licensing where necessary.
- Have a realistic budget
- Incorporate the best ethical practices
OCC Adventure Challenge Grant
This Grant is for sailors in pursuit of world-class sailing and sail exploration objectives. Adventure Grants are intended to more significantly contribute towards total expedition costs. Awards will typically fall in the £250 to £3,000 range; however, award amounts will vary based on project and budget.
OCC Adventure Grant Goals:
The Adventure Grant seeks to fund individuals planning expeditions to remote areas featuring unexplored areas, difficult sailing routes, challenging multi-sport exploits, or similar world-class pursuits.